Hi there! It’s been quite some time since I last posted any update on my blog. I’m heartily sorry for being very busy these past few weeks because of work and family. Anyway, how have you guys been fairing? Recently I just finished my one week driving lessons at Odyssey- a local driving school here in the city and, guess what, I practiced driving a stick shift.
Today, many people, especially women, opt to drive automatic transmission sedans or SUVs because they are easy to operate and control. But one thing the auto society doesn’t tell you is that driving automatic cars can leave you complacent when it comes to the road.
So here’re 5 reasons why you should drive a stick-shift car:
1. There’s no reason not to except when you’re stuck in bumper to bumper traffic every single day, but that doesn’t always happen, right?
2. It gives you more room for control. Driving is not just solely about being in a car and making the it move. You have to get to know your car, its engine, and its needs much like a pet so that you can be able to gain more control of it.
3. It gives you more confidence. Stick-shift cars are much difficult to maneuver because of shifting gears and the dreaded “clutch” pedal. But when you are able to control it, you’ll feel more confident in what you are doing and it allows you to become more relaxed on the road.
4. It gives you more focus. Unlike automatic transmission cars, a manual takes some preparation and focus when driving. Even when it’s just a simple turn around the corner or going downhill, you need to prepare what to do- like what gear to use, how much speed you’re going to make, etc.
5. It’s a lot of fun. Trust me. During my one week lessons I had instances when the car would stall because I didn’t press on the clutch fully. There were times when I almost hit another car because I didn’t check the side mirrors for any incoming vehicle. But it’s all part of the learning process. And you’re instructor is always there to help you out. Plus, you’re insured. So why worry?
I can’t wait to put to work what I’ve learned with our own car. If you’re planning to take on driving lessons and you happened to be here in Cagayan de Oro City, drop by at Odyssey Driving School at Velez st., and SM SuperMall in uptown Pueblo. Their friendly instructors and staff are more than willing to assist you.
Happy driving! 🙂