I have seen this movie’s trailer always being played in Star Movies, but I never really got to watch it-not until now, while in Makati. I was a bit reluctant to see it through at first, because I wanted to take a stroll around Ayala Triangle before it got dark. But after much consideration, I decided to take the chance. And I’m glad I did.
No other movie perfectly described the human condition as it is now. To illustrate, let me share with you 20 quotes to give you the burst of life-it’s colors, its hopes, its dreams, its sufferings, and its pains:
1. The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.
2. I liked the feeling of love,’ [Jonas] confessed. He glanced nervously at the speaker on the wall, reassuring himself that no one was listening. ‘I wish we still had that,’ he whispered.
3. The life where nothing was ever unexpected. Or inconvenient. Or unusual. The life without colour, pain or past.
4. I feel sorry for anyone who is in a place where he feels strange and stupid.
5. They were satisfied with their lives which had none of the vibrance his own was taking on. And he was angry at himself, that he could not change that for them.
6. I knew that there had been times in the past-terrible times-when people had destroyed others in haste,in fear, and had brought about their own destruction
7. What words could you use which would give another the experience of sunshine?
8. “There could be love”, Jonas whispered.
9. Things could change, Gabe,” Jonas went on. “Things could be different. I don’t know how, but there must be some way for things to be different.
10. I thought there was only us. I thought there was only now.
11. He hunched his shoulders and tried to make himself smaller in the seat. He wanted to disappear, to fade away, not to exist.
12. He knew that there was no quick comfort for emotions like those. They were deeper and they did not need to be told. They were felt.
13. There’s much more. There’s all that goes beyond – all … that is Elsewhere – and all that goes back, and back, and back. I received all of those, when I was selected. And here in this room, all alone, I re-experience them again and again. It is how wisdom comes. And how we shape our future.
14. If everything’s the same, then there aren’t any choices! I want to wake up in the morning and decide things!
15. It’s just that… without the memories it’s all meaningless.
16. Memories are forever.
17. We gained control of many things. But we had to let go of others.”
18. “…how could you describe a hill and snow to someone who had never felt height or wind or that feathery, magical cold?”
19. “You may lie.”
20. “There’s nothing we can do. It’s always been this way.